I am avidly interested in both mental health and criminology topics. I am particularly interested in the intersection of these two topics, especially when it comes to criminal cases. As of late my focus has been on the Jodi Arias case, and other high-profile criminal cases.
I am an “Ask the Therapist” columnist for PsychCentral.com and was named the 7th Most Influential Mental Health Expert on the Internet.
I am also a licensed clinical social worker and an Assistant Professor of Social Work and Criminology with extensive experience in the field of mental health. I have worked in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. I have also worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling centers, university research centers, and have published in academic journals.
The majority of my research interests have focused on:
- High profile trial that involve aspects of mental illness
- Schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders
- Anosognosia (lack of insight)
- Criminology, Criminal Justice & Social Work
- Mental Health Courts
- Mentally Ill, Juvenile and Women Offenders
- Solitary Confinement
- Mental Health & Mental Illness
- Threat Assessment & Homicidal Ideation