As I write this I realize that the information is ever-evolving but here is what we know so far:
- The gunman is 34-year old Aaron Alexis (see FBI picture below) and not 50-year-old Rollie Chance whose ID was found in a car near the crime scene;
- 13 people have been confirmed dead;
- The suspect was shot and killed by law enforcement after a lengthy standoff;
- The FBI are still looking for two more men who might have been involved;
- This attack is the largest mass-casualty in DC since a 1982 plan crash;
- Aaron Alexis was arrested in September 2010 for shooting a hole in his neighbors apartment;
- It has been confirmed that Aaron Alexis was a Navy aviation electrician’s mate who served from May 2007 to January 2011;
- The gunman has two medals: National Defense Services & Global War on Terrorism Service;
- Military records list him as a full-time Navy reservist;
- Aaron Alexis was born in Queens, NY and lived in Fort Worth, Texas and was a regular figure at a Buddhist temple.
- Alexis spoke Thai and meditated twice a week at the Wat Busayadhammavanaram Meditation Center.
The aforementioned facts are being reported by major media outlets, but early reports about mass shootings tend to be conflicting. Typically, at this stage in the aftermath of a mass shooting, we begin hearing from people who knew the shooter. An assistant to the monks at the meditation center said that “he seemed so tightly wound that at least one worker sought to avoid him…From the outside he was a quiet person. But on the inside, I think he was quite aggressive.”
The assistant also said that he would not have been surprised if Alexis had committed suicide, but did not think he could commit murder.
A new video has emerged from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram staff who describe meeting Alexis when he was a waiter at a Thai restaurant.
— ABC7 News (@abc7newsBayArea) September 16, 2013