The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 33 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Crime & Trial Discussion Forums
End is Near Hopefully - Printable Version

+- Crime & Trial Discussion Forums (http://kristinarandle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Crimes and Trials (http://kristinarandle.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Jodi Arias Trial (http://kristinarandle.com/forum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: End is Near Hopefully (/thread-1.html)

RE: End is Near Hopefully - Observer - 02-15-2015

(02-15-2015, 01:40 AM)Justice Wrote:  The opening statements were filmed.  We got to see both the prosecution and the defense.
Does anyone know if the closing arguments will be on film also, or not?

Justice, the entire trial is being recorded and will be released to the media as soon as Arias is sentenced. It will be aired on social media and possibly on HLN. I read somewhere that HLN is bringing back a few hours of trial coverage in the afternoon in place of Forensic files so they may air the Jodi Arias trial. A lot of people say they want to watch it.

I just figured out how Arias got the idea to try to manipulate the media and public into believing she is innocent by watching her police interrogation tape the day after she was arrested in Yreka. A female police officer tries to convince her to quit denying she murdered Travis and to tell her what happened. She tries to convince Arias she knows she is smart and a good person, that she would want her family and the family to know the truth and that it would help her because otherwise the media is going to paint her as a cold blooded killer. She tells Arias she doesn't think she planned the murder or meant to Kill Travis but that something went wrong and asks her if he promised her marriage and didn't deliver and asks her if it is just happened in the heat of the moment. She tells Arias she can control what the media says about her wanting her to confess to her but instead Arias stares at her and coldly says, "I can't control what the media says" and asks the officer if she can get pictures off her camera for a couple she took wedding pictures of and her sister Angela who is in rehab and asks about money her parents can put in her commissary account. Shortly after that, Arias tells her mother to call the media and Arias holds a press conference stating she is "wrongfully accused" and that begins her long PR campaign of giving several TV and newspaper interviews from the Yreka and Estrella jails from the time she is arrested in July 2008 until after she is convicted of first degree murder in May 2013.

Here's the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs9GhzMsH7I

RE: End is Near Hopefully - NERN - 02-15-2015

I heard the other day that Joey Jackson was having a show on HLN to talk about legal issues and trials in the news.
Guess HLN felt that Forensic Files wasn't cutting it anymore and they needed to get back into the action.

I just watched your link Observer and there were a few things that stood out for me.....

You could see the wheels turning in Arias' head when she was left alone.
She was trying to look nonchalant as she ate, put her head on the table and then started fiddling with papers and finally supposedly drawing.
I have heard it said that only a guilty person will relax in an interview room and some even fall asleep.
When the female detective came into the room, Arias did not even look up until the officer spoke.

You could see that she was trying to be calm and collected, doing mundane things because she was projecting her innocence and didn't have anything to worry about.
Instead of being upset that she was in this predicament as an innocent person, she did the exact opposite thinking that it would serve her well.

The wheels were turning as she sat there trying to figure out her next move.
Very cold and calculating IMO.

Good chance that the officer talking with her about the media helped her to cement her plan to use the media to her advantage - or so she thought.

http://www.realitychatter.com/t4266-jodi-arias-biology-of-the-defense-case

Good background information

RE: End is Near Hopefully - duluth45 - 02-15-2015

(02-15-2015, 03:24 PM)Observer Wrote:  
(02-15-2015, 01:40 AM)Justice Wrote:  The opening statements were filmed.  We got to see both the prosecution and the defense.
Does anyone know if the closing arguments will be on film also, or not?

Justice, the entire trial is being recorded and will be released to the media as soon as Arias is sentenced. It will be aired on social media and possibly on HLN. I read somewhere that HLN is bringing back a few hours of trial coverage in the afternoon in place of Forensic files so they may air the Jodi Arias trial. A lot of people say they want to watch it.

I just figured out how Arias got the idea to try to manipulate the media and public into believing she is innocent by watching her police interrogation tape the day after she was arrested in Yreka. A female police officer tries to convince her to quit denying she murdered Travis and to tell her what happened. She tries to convince Arias she knows she is smart and a good person, that she would want her family and the family to know the truth and that it would help her because otherwise the media is going to paint her as a cold blooded killer. She tells Arias she doesn't think she planned the murder or meant to Kill Travis but that something went wrong and asks her if he promised her marriage and didn't deliver and asks her if it is just happened in the heat of the moment. She tells Arias she can control what the media says about her wanting her to confess to her but instead Arias stares at her and coldly says, "I can't control what the media says" and asks the officer if she can get pictures off her camera for a couple she took wedding pictures of and her sister Angela who is in rehab and asks about money her parents can put in her commissary account. Shortly after that, Arias tells her mother to call the media and Arias holds a press conference stating she is "wrongfully accused" and that begins her long PR campaign of giving several TV and newspaper interviews from the Yreka and Estrella jails from the time she is arrested in July 2008 until after she is convicted of first degree murder in May 2013.

Here's the link to the video:

I would like to see the opening statements. Justice, how did you get to see them? And won't somebody post the trial on youtube like before so we could watch it without having to listen to the HLN people and advertisements? I for one am hoping so.
Am I doing postings right, I wonder?

Duluth, I think Justice must have watched the opening statements from the murder trial on Nancy Grace. She showed them after the retrial opening statements and made it sound like she was playing the opening statements from the retrial. I recognized the opening statements from the murder trial and knew the difference but some viewers may have been misled as I think was Grace's intention. That's why I don't watch her. Nancy Grace was at the trial the first week and after that, she stopped covering the retrial.

No one has seen the opening and closing statements from the retrial because they won't release any of the footage until after Arias is sentenced.

Nern, I think Arias is very suggestible and her Ninja story also came from what Flores said when he interrogates her in the orange jumpsuit after she spends a night in jail.

When the female police officer gets nowhere with Arias, Flores takes a shot at her and uses a different technique.

He just starts asking her questions: "Was he expecting you? Did you talk that day? Did he know you were coming? Did you plan on doing it the whole time? Why? Tell me?
Where did you get the gun? Everybody says he doesn’t have one? Did you bring it with you?"

She just stares at him and then asks: "Can I see those pictures?"

She wants to look at the evidence so she can make up the story based on what evidence they had.

He refuses to allow her to see the pictures and keeps asking questions:

"Are you protecting someone? Was there someone else there with you? Did someone catch you there not expecting you to be there?
If you want me to believe someone else was there, you have to tell me."

That's when she starts saying other people were there but they were going to kill her family if she told.

He asks her if the gunshot came first?

That's when she said she heard a boom and was knocked out and when she came to Travis was holding his head and screaming in pain and saying he couldn't feel his legs and she says he was shot in the head.

(02-15-2015, 07:56 PM)Observer Wrote:  Duluth, I think Justice must have watched the opening statements from the murder trial on Nancy Grace. She showed them after the retrial opening statements and made it sound like she was playing the opening and closing statements from the retrial. I recognized the opening statements from the murder trial and knew the difference but some viewers may have been misled as I think was Grace's intention. That's why I don't watch her. Nancy Grace was at the trial the first week and after that, she stopped covering the retrial.

No one has seen the opening and closing statements from the retrial because they won't show any of the trial until after Arias is sentenced.

Nern, I think Arias is very suggestible and her Ninja story also came from what Flores said when he interrogates her in the orange jumpsuit after she spends a night in jail.

When the female police officer gets nowhere with Arias, Flores takes a shot at her and uses a different technique.

He just starts asking her questions: "Was he expecting you? Did you talk that day? Did he know you were coming? Did you plan on doing it the whole time? Why? Tell me?
Where did you get the gun? Everybody says he doesn’t have one? Did you bring it with you?"

She just stares at him and then asks: "Can I see those pictures?"

She wants to look at the evidence so she can make up the story based on what evidence they had.

He refuses to allow her to see the pictures and keeps asking questions:

"Are you protecting someone? Was there someone else there with you? Did someone catch you there not expecting you to be there?
If you want me to believe someone else was there, you have to tell me."

That's when she starts saying other people were there but they were going to kill her family if she told.

He asks her if the gunshot came first?

That's when she said she heard a boom and was knocked out and when she came to Travis was holding his head and screaming in pain and saying he couldn't feel his legs and she says he was shot in the head.

I can't watch Nancy Grace. I got so sick of hearing the talking heads during the trial talk about things I don't think they even know about. Almost all of them talked so badly about Juan saying he was taking too long, didn't ask the right questions, blah blah blah. Some of them said basically that he shouldn't have had a witness on the stand more than 15 or 20 minutes, that that was plenty long enough to get the story out. Now that I look back on it, I realize they just kept me upset every night. I finally stopped. I guess you could say I finally gained some common sense. And also I want to say that everybody needs to beware big time of women who use little girl voices. I don't know what it is, but I think seriously we all need to beware of those types.

Observer,
Totally agree that Arias is suggestible. I believe she researches other cases to formulate her own plans. There is no doubt in my mind that Arias used her police interview to aid in concocting her stories.

Duluth,
Nancy Grace, IMO, is a disGRACE to her profession of journalism. She is a bully with guests, fabricates information (like running the opening statements and letting people think that they were from this sentencing trail) and she believes that she has the power to make such a difference in solving cases. She should have stayed a lawyer.
The other talking heads were getting paid for their opinions and to perpetrate the hype so that the network got the ratings they desired. I will NOT watch HLN!

Unintended Consequences of Toying with Jurors’ Emotions: The Impact of Disturbing Emotional Evidence on Jurors’ Verdicts
by
Jessica M. Salerno from University of Illinois at Chicago
and Bette L. Bottoms, Ph.D. from University of Illinois at Chicago
– March 1, 2010

http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2010/03/unintended-consequences-of-toying-with-jurors-emotions-the-impact-of-disturbing-emotional-evidence-on-jurors-verdicts/

The following are some excerpts of the above article.
I found it rather interesting especially as to how it relates to this case and the attorneys involved.
Understanding a jury is hard work!

"...Attorneys attempt to elicit emotions in jurors during opening and closing statements, or through the use of emotionally disturbing evidence. These attempts might, however, cause unintended changes to the way jurors process or interpret trial evidence..."

"Emotional Evidence
...Of course, both sides in a criminal case — defense and prosecution — attempt to sway jurors' emotions, and in turn, their verdicts. Prosecuting attorneys might flash as many gruesome post-mortem photographs as the judge will allow to make jurors angrier at the defendant. Defense attorneys might make appeals to jurors' empathy during closing statements..."

"Prosecution evidence.
...Prosecutors are likely to try and elicit negative emotions (i.e., anger, disgust) in jurors in hopes of making them more likely to convict the defendant. One form of evidence that prosecutors might use to elicit strong emotion in jurors is gruesome photographs from a murder scene...
...A second type of emotionally disturbing prosecution evidence that might elicit negative emotion in jurors is victim impact statements... victim impact statements are relevant to the sentencing phase of a trial because they speak to the level of harm resulting from a crime and that any violation of the defendant's rights "were harmless beyond a reasonable doubt".

"Defense evidence.
...Defense attorneys also appeal to jurors, perhaps by attempting to elicit sympathy and empathy in jurors in hopes of making the jurors more lenient toward their clients..
...is the defense presenting disturbing details of a defendants' history of child abuse as mitigating evidence in an attempt to steer jurors away from the death penalty. Such evidence is often aimed at stirring jurors' emotions and certainly has the potential to be as emotionally charged as gruesome crime scene photographs or victim impact statements presented by the prosecution...
... that jurors were more likely to either ignore the defendant's history of child abuse or even to use this factor as an aggravator, than they were to use this evidence in the intended mitigating manner. They found jurors were more likely to discuss a defendant's history of child abuse to mean that his behavior was controllable and stable more than uncontrollable and unstable, respectively..."

"...the reason victim impact statements make jurors react more punitively is because they induce immediate visceral response that jurors later justify with evidence that fits their emotional reaction, not because they gain unique information from the statement. .."

"...Defense attorneys, however, are not the only ones who should be cautious about the unintended effects of toying with jurors' emotions. Prosecutors should also exercise caution and be aware of collateral effects of jurors' negative emotions. Angry jurors, for example, might process the case evidence less thoroughly, which might make them more likely to miss or make mistakes about evidence in general – including prosecution evidence. Jurors misinterpreting or forgetting evidence can be just as detrimental to the prosecution's case as to the defense's case..."

"...Attorneys should note that not all jurors will react strongly to emotional evidence, even the most gruesome photograph or the most compelling victim impact statements. Some jurors, for example, might have more experience with disturbing information (perhaps through medical or emergency rescue, playing graphic video games or watching graphic forensic television programming such as CSI: Crime Scene Investigators), which one could speculate might cause these people to react differently than others. Jurors also might be more or less naturally affected by emotional information..."

"...purpose is to caution attorneys about the complexity of emotion and decision-making and to caution against assuming the effects of their attempts to toy with jurors' emotions. Inducing juror emotion, such as anger, can affect not only jurors' verdicts, but also how deeply they process and how they interpret trial evidence. This can lead to many unintended effects, such as biasing processing and interpretation of evidence in emotion-consistent ways, increased errors, decreased ability to understand complex testimony, increased reliance on stereotyping, and perhaps many others that have not yet been identified."

(02-15-2015, 06:40 PM)NERN Wrote:  http://www.realitychatter.com/t4266-jodi-arias-biology-of-the-defense-case

Nern, I had seen the dates and names of Arias’ attorneys who were fired, quit or tried to quit but I had never seen the police report on the burglary Arias staged which was posted in the comments in the bottom of the page.

In case no one read that far, I will cut and paste:

JodiArias EXCLUSIVE the actual paper POLICE REPORT Grandpa Stolen items May 28, 2008 .25 caliper GUN & other ITEMS sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/5…
— chris stark (@stark3923) March 23, 2013

From the report:
Items 1-4 have a dollar value assigned.
Note: These items do not add up to even a thousand dollars.
IMO, this is suspcious so much trouble to steal so little.

From the report, second page:

"Carlito ? Allen then informed me that a .25 caliber automatice pistol was missing from a dresser in his bedroom. Carlton ? Allen described the pistol as being 3" to 4" long and 3" to 4" tall, black with a black grip. He stated it also had a fully loaded magazine, with seven rounds of jacketed hollow points, that was alos taken with the gun. Carlton Allen did not know the serial number for the gun or the brand of the gun. He did state that the gun was originally owned by his cousin Norman Blowers ?.
When Blowers died, the gun was given to Carlton Allen. The gun was not registered and Carlton Allen stated it was quite old.

Caroline Allen stated that his granddaughter had been at the residence when she and Carlton Allen had left at approximately 1000 hours. She stated she did not know when he granddaughter had left the residence and she had placed a telephone call to her granddaughter. She said her granddaughter was enroute to the residence at that time.

I asked the Allens' to not disturb any objects in the house as I would most likely be attempting to take fingerprints.

I then sealed the residence to examine the side door that had been forcibly broken.
The door was a normal size door without a doorknob that had been broken from the inside using a bar -?- . There was a dirty scuff mark just under where the doorstop should have been that appeared to be a footprint. It was raining outside and mud present just outside the side door . However, it was raining very hard and there were no footprints I could see outside on the ground.

Caroline Allen's granddaughter then arrived at the scene. Her granddaughter's name was Jodi Ann Arias, DOB 7-09-80. At that time, Officer Dircksen also arrived at the residence and searched the property for any investigative evidence. He did not find any evidence or the stolen property.

While Officer Dirksen searched the property, I spoke with Arias. Arias stated she had left the residence at approcimately 1300 hours and that she had made certain all the doors and windows were locked when she left. Arias then examined her bedroom at the residence and found that a $20.00 bill and a $10.00 bill were missing that had been on her dresser.

As I examined the house, I found that numerous dresser drawers and doors had been opened. It appeared thaat the suspect(s) had searched through numerous areas, but had not stolen anything else.

Officer Belmont then arrived and attemped to life the footprints from several different areas in the residence.

I then searched the outside of the residence and did not find any investigative evidence. "

(02-15-2015, 08:27 PM)Observer Wrote:  
(02-15-2015, 06:40 PM)NERN Wrote:  http://www.realitychatter.com/t4266-jodi-arias-biology-of-the-defense-case

Nern, I had seen the dates and names of Arias’ attorneys who were fired, quit or tried to quit but I had never seen the police report on the burglary Arias staged which was posted in the comments in the bottom of the page.

In case no one read that far, I will cut and paste:

JodiArias EXCLUSIVE the actual paper POLICE REPORT Grandpa Stolen items May 28, 2008 .25 caliper GUN & other ITEMS sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/5…
— chris stark (@stark3923) March 23, 2013

From the report:
Items 1-4 have a dollar value assigned.
Note: These items do not add up to even a thousand dollars.
IMO, this is suspcious so much trouble to steal so little.

From the report, second page:

"Carlito ? Allen then informed me that a .25 caliber automatice pistol was missing from a dresser in his bedroom. Carlton ? Allen described the pistol as being 3" to 4" long and 3" to 4" tall, black with a black grip. He stated it also had a fully loaded magazine, with seven rounds of jacketed hollow points, that was alos taken with the gun. Carlton Allen did not know the serial number for the gun or the brand of the gun. He did state that the gun was originally owned by his cousin Norman Blowers ?.
When Blowers died, the gun was given to Carlton Allen. The gun was not registered and Carlton Allen stated it was quite old.

Caroline Allen stated that his granddaughter had been at the residence when she and Carlton Allen had left at approximately 1000 hours. She stated she did not know when he granddaughter had left the residence and she had placed a telephone call to her granddaughter. She said her granddaughter was enroute to the residence at that time.

I asked the Allens' to not disturb any objects in the house as I would most likely be attempting to take fingerprints.

I then sealed the residence to examine the side door that had been forcibly broken.
The door was a normal size door without a doorknob that had been broken from the inside using a bar -?- . There was a dirty scuff mark just under where the doorstop should have been that appeared to be a footprint. It was raining outside and mud present just outside the side door . However, it was raining very hard and there were no footprints I could see outside on the ground.

Caroline Allen's granddaughter then arrived at the scene. Her granddaughter's name was Jodi Ann Arias, DOB 7-09-80. At that time, Officer Dircksen also arrived at the residence and searched the property for any investigative evidence. He did not find any evidence or the stolen property.

While Officer Dirksen searched the property, I spoke with Arias. Arias stated she had left the residence at approcimately 1300 hours and that she had made certain all the doors and windows were locked when she left. Arias then examined her bedroom at the residence and found that a $20.00 bill and a $10.00 bill were missing that had been on her dresser.

As I examined the house, I found that numerous dresser drawers and doors had been opened. It appeared thaat the suspect(s) had searched through numerous areas, but had not stolen anything else.

Officer Belmont then arrived and attemped to life the footprints from several different areas in the residence.

I then searched the outside of the residence and did not find any investigative evidence. "

We have heard that a VCR or a DVD player was stolen and we have heard (not from the court though) that Arias took a DVD player to Daryl. Here is a question. If Arias stole a DVD player (or VCR player) from the grandparents home and took it to Daryl, why didn't Juan question Daryl about this? I do remember he brought up that Arias drove back to Daryl's house later (after going there in the morning to get the gas cans) to take a remote control back to him and I believe something was said by her in her testimony that she didn't know how it got in her car. Am I remembering this correctly and if so, why didn't Juan bring this out in the first trial? This is serious evidence, I believe.
And Nern, I can't watch Nancy Grace because she treats her own guests with total disrespect, treating them like they are stupid, yelling over them after asking them a question, and cutting them off during their answers. What is that all about? I can't imagine why she still has a job on HLN or anywhere else.

Duluth, it doesn't sound like a DVD or VCR was taken if you go by the report.

You and I are in total agreement about Nancy Grace - on all points.
There are people out there who like her tactics on the show and there are enough of them to keep her on the air. She has been around for some time making a name for herself and obviously the ratings for her show are high enough to keep her around.
For me, that says a lot about HLN and it ain't good.