The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 451 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 356 session->update_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 33 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Crime & Trial Discussion Forums
End is Near Hopefully - Printable Version

+- Crime & Trial Discussion Forums (http://kristinarandle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Crimes and Trials (http://kristinarandle.com/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Jodi Arias Trial (http://kristinarandle.com/forum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: End is Near Hopefully (/thread-1.html)

RE: End is Near Hopefully - NERN - 02-25-2015

Thanks Observer!

Duluth,
I am seriously beginning to think that Jeff Gold is an ass!!! An ass that likes to be on TV.

RE: End is Near Hopefully - duluth45 - 02-25-2015

(02-25-2015, 09:50 PM)Observer Wrote:  Duluth, in Arizona a defendant who has been convicted of first degree murder is eligible for the death penalty if the prosecution can prove at least one of the 10 aggravators:

(1) prior conviction for which a sentence of life imprisonment or death was imposable;
(2) prior serious offense involving the use or threat of violence;
(3) grave risk of death to others;
(4) procurement of murder by payment or promise of payment;
(5) commission of murder for pecuniary gain;  
(6) murder committed in an especially heinous, cruel or depraved manner;
(7) murder committed while in custody (effective Oct. 1, 1978);
(8) multiple homicides
(9) murder of a victim under 15 years of age (effective May 16, 1985) or of a victim 70 years of age or older (effective July 17, 1993); and
(10) murder of a law enforcement officer.

Jodi Arias qualified for the death penalty because the last jury determined the murder of Alexander was committed in an especially heinous, cruel or depraved manner.

Defense attorneys are usually against the death penalty. Some people believe a death sentence should be reserved for serial killers and cop killers.

Thanks, Observer. I do get confused still. Why do some people (Jeff Gold) think this isn't a death penalty case if it has reached the description? This murder clearly was seriously premeditated and most of us believe Arias intended for Travis to suffer horribly which he did.
I also read where Chris Hughes is still mentioning that Daryl got the stolen DVD player from Arias. As you will recall, the only mention of that is when Arias agreed that she mistakenly had the remote control for a DVD player in her car and took it back to Daryl's house after a few hours. Why didn't Juan use this more effectively in either trial, I wonder? Were his hands tied legally from bringing it up in the trials?
Oh, well. I am so glad this part is over. I am starting to get a few things done in the house! I have wasted so much time on this trial. But I couldn't help myself. And if Chris and Sky Hughes do write a book, I will buy it. I like learning more than we are told in these cases. My thoughts are still with the Alexander family. I really hope they are able to do all right in the future.

(02-25-2015, 10:22 PM)NERN Wrote:  Thanks Observer!

Duluth,
I am seriously beginning to think that Jeff Gold is an ass!!! An ass that likes to be on TV.

I only saw him once on something, maybe something one of you guys posted. I enjoyed his humor on that one. I don't know how to view him.
I saw on Beth's blog site that someone said that HLN was going to talk about the Arias trial earlier today. I of course turned the TV on and DVRd. It just doesn't work for me anymore. It was Jean Casarez reporting from the courthouse steps, I believe. I stopped the DVR and turned the TV back off. HLN just isn't worthy of viewing for me. It did have Joey Jackson who I really really like. But they just aren't with it anymore. I don't know how else to say it. I used to really like Jean Casarez but I don't anymore for some reason. I wonder if I associate HLN with Nancy Grace and Jane Velez? I just can't watch it. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
This has been a real learning experience for me. And I still have questions!!!! I feel so odd today since it is in the jury's hands. I feel for them. It is a huge responsibility. I do hope they agree on something. It is almost a letdown feeling. It is odd. I mainly want desperately that Arias never sees the light of day ever again. She has done so much harm to so many people. And I believe she feels entitled to have done it. She is so bad. I really believe that the Hughes and Mimi Hall are lucky to be alive because I believe she might have done them in at some point. I don't know why I feel that way but I really do believe that. I also find it so objectionable that the defense used Chris and Sky Hughes as "evidence" that Travis was abusive. It sickens me. They clearly loved Travis and considered him almost their family. I feel badly for them as well.
Oh, well.

RE: End is Near Hopefully - Observer - 02-25-2015

The jury has gone home for the day and will be back at 9 am Thursday to deliberate again. They will deliberate until 4:30 pm and if they don't have a verdict return at 9 a.m. Monday to continue to deliberate.

I can't believe it is over. It is such a relief because it looked like it would never get over.

I am hoping for a death sentence but I fear this jury may deadlock also if anybody bought into the mental illness or abuse excuse. I doubt if 12 jurors would vote for life. Surely the defense has offended many of the jurors with blaming the victim for his death and assassinating his character. Anybody with common sense could see those text messages were not evidence of any abuse and that you can't anything she says because she is a pathological liar and her experts got their information from her.

I don't even really care what the verdict is. I just want Jodi Arias shipped off to Perryville for the rest of her life and hope I never hear her name mentioned again.

RE: End is Near Hopefully - Lunarscope - 02-26-2015

Twitter questions to Troy' and/or Jeff, one of many!
@jeffgoldesq @troyhaydenfox10 disagree with you Jeff ...explain why Marissa DeVault in General Population (Same Arizona prison) few months and already working!

DeVault = same Arizona prison' less than a year after convicted for hammer murder one!

Quite a few were asking today, troy and/or Jeff (after saying he would check and see) said their are three Maximum Security classifications and that Jodi would be in maximum security for 2 years minimum. Seams like it was for 5 years = reported days earlier!

4 hours 20 minutes of deliberations and jury went home!

If the jury evidence is stockpiled then deliberations must be in a courtroom, (not a deliberations room) both trials would be a large stockpile of paperwork alone, the jury must be wanting to dismiss any failure to take due diligence arguments by not swiftly deciding, as I had hoped!

First jury asked an important unanswered question = "what does Life mean" and a Arizona judge not exacting an answer became problematic!

My discussion was Arizona and US Prisons, USA life sentence from Wiki!

Life imprisonment (also known as a life sentence, lifelong incarceration or life incarceration) is any sentence of imprisonment for a serious crime under which the convicted person is to remain in prison for the rest of his or her life or until paroled. Crimes for which a person could receive this sentence include murder, attempted murder, severe child abuse, rape, espionage, high treason, drug dealing, vandalism, human trafficking, severe cases of fraud, aggravated criminal damage in English law and aggravated cases of arson, burglary or robbery resulting in death or grievous bodily harm.

This sentence does not exist in all countries. Portugal was the first country in the world to abolish life imprisonment by the prison reforms of Sampaio e Melo in 1884. However, where life imprisonment is a possible sentence, there may also be formal mechanisms to request parole after a certain period of imprisonment. This means that a convict could be entitled to spend the rest of the sentence (until he or she dies) outside prison. Early release is usually conditional depending on past and future conduct, possibly with certain restrictions or obligations. In contrast, when a fixed term of imprisonment has ended, the convict is free.

The length of time and the modalities surrounding parole vary greatly for each jurisdiction. In some places, convicts are entitled to apply for parole relatively early, in others, only after several decades. However, the time until being entitled to apply for parole does not necessarily tell anything about the actual date of parole being granted. Article 110 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC) stipulates that for the gravest forms of crimes (such as war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide), a prisoner ought to serve two-thirds of a fixed sentence, or 25 years in the case of a life sentence. The highest determined prison sentence that can be imposed in the ICC, aside from life imprisonment, is 30 years (article 77 1) a)). After this period, the court will review the sentence to determine whether or not it should be reduced.

The US has the world's largest population behind bars and leads in life sentences as well, at a rate of 50 people per 100,000 residents imprisoned for life.

RE: End is Near Hopefully - duluth45 - 02-26-2015

(02-25-2015, 11:53 PM)Observer Wrote:  The jury has gone home for the day and will be back at 9 am Thursday to deliberate again. They will deliberate until 4:30 pm and if they don't have a verdict return at 9 a.m. Monday to continue to deliberate.

I can't believe it is over. It is such a relief because it looked like it would never get over.

I am hoping for a death sentence but I fear this jury may deadlock also if anybody bought into the mental illness or abuse excuse. I doubt if 12 jurors would vote for life. Surely the defense has offended many of the jurors with blaming the victim for his death and assassinating his character. Anybody with common sense could see those text messages were not evidence of any abuse and that you can't anything she says because she is a pathological liar and her experts got their information from her.

I don't even really care what the verdict is. I just want Jodi Arias shipped off to Perryville for the rest of her life and hope I never hear her name mentioned again.

Me, too, Observer. I don't even care what the verdict is as long as that butcher never has the chance to butcher again. I also doubt that 12 jurors would vote for life - or death. I seriously doubt that some of the men would put her to death, some men being how they are. I would like to think that this set of jurors are mature enough to recognize lies, but when a sexual woman is involved, mature minds don't seem to cut in. Look at the first trial. I seriously believe this. I honestly believe that the three men in the first trial (and possibly the one woman) were sexually enticed by Arias. She is seductive. And I have no doubt that she seduced the foreman in the first trial. The dumb ..... person. And the dumb two other persons. Etc. I remember that you and Nern don't believe that she has the seduction quality from a past blog we did but I do believe in her seductive quality 100%.
I mainly want Arias to be SHUT UP FOREVER. I am so disgusted with the lies that the horrible defense team are allowed to tell. And disgusted that probably several people in this current trial will believe those lies with no evidence.
I hope Arias goes to Perryville and sweats 23 hours a day. And is miserable. 24 hours a day.

RE: End is Near Hopefully - VW Vixen - 02-26-2015

Newbie here.

What is really striking is looking on a map of the trip she took "to visit Ryan Byrnes". If that was the purpose of the trip, she would have driven east not south. She basically drove south the entire length of California! From Yreka, a trip to Salt Lake City is approx. 745 miles to the east. From Redding, where she rented the car, Mapquest shows it as an 806 mile trip that goes nowhere near AZ.

She claims she has very little funds to take a trip yet she chooses to drive from Redding to Pasadena which is over 540 miles south. From Pasadena, the trip to SLC is almost 680 miles and again, this trip does not go into AZ at all.

This seals the deal, in my eyes. Premeditated and planned out. IDK if Juan Martinez ever showed the jury a map of her travels. If not, he should have. It is shocking for those who have trouble visualizing the route she took on the trip. It shows that her trip to see her alibi was exactly that. An alibi.

RE: End is Near Hopefully - Lunarscope - 02-26-2015

Welcome VW, Considering the high profile of this case, news reporters will be wanting courthouse interviews with the jurors as soon as they exit the courthouse after verdict' so how would a juror want to be dressed, presentable I presume, theirs why I was unrealistically wanting a swift verdict, it wasn't in the cards. Even if the jury are expecting to need time for deliberations, that will be dressed in their Sunday best for the remainder.

On her roadtrip Jodi accumulated money for bank deposits by traveling south (Sacramento is unavoidable if using highways) in a newish white (less conspicuous) rental car, her Lodi California McDonald's receipt was a mountain range out of her way (impossible) when she actually followed nearer the coastline, point of interest' Jodi had to cross thru Benicia Ca and then Martinez Ca across the Benicia Martinez bridge to get to San Jose nearing Monterey! From San José to the Purple Plum bar / hopped to Margaritaville then coastline to Matt's a few miles from Darylls!

RE: End is Near Hopefully - NERN - 02-26-2015

Welcome VW Vixen! Better late than never. I am sure we will be commenting for some time yet and look forward to your postings. I saw the map the other day of Arias' trip from Yreka to Mesa. WOW! Really planned out!

https://www.aclunc.org/article/truth-about-life-without-parole-condemned-die-prison

This is a very interesting article especially given where this case stands right now. Although it talks a great deal about California, there are details that cover all states. The last point, IMO, does not refer to Arias.
LWOP is NOT a walk in the park!

The Truth About Life Without Parole: Condemned to Die in Prison
The facts prove that life in prison without the possibility of parole (LWOP) is swift, severe, and certain punishment. The reality is that people sentenced to LWOP have been condemned to die in prison and that’s what happens: They die in prison of natural causes, just like the majority of people sentenced to death. The differences: Sentencing people to death by execution is three times more expensive than sentencing them to die in prison. And if we make a mistake by sentencing an innocent person to death, it can’t be fixed.

Death in prison is a certain sentence: Prisoners are not released early
No one sentenced to life without parole has ever been released on parole, in California or in any other state. Prisoners sentenced to LWOP actually remain in prison for the rest of their lives and die in prison.

All sentences, including the death penalty, are equally subject to clemency from the governor. However, no Democratic or Republican governor has ever granted clemency to a prisoner serving an LWOP sentence in California, and no such prisoner has ever been released on parole.

The last time a governor used his power of executive clemency in a murder case was more than 30 years ago, when Ronald Reagan commuted the death sentence of a mentally ill inmate to a life sentence.

Death in prison is a swift sentence: Victims' families prefer LWOP
Because death is different and mistakes cannot be corrected, a death sentence results in years of mandatory appeals that often result in reversal. In a sample of 350 death sentences, 118, or nearly one-third, were reversed in part or in whole. Further, nearly 60 percent of the cases in this sample were still in various stages of appeals as of 2002. For each of the last three executions in California, more than 25 years had been spent in appeals before the executions finally occurred. The current average for appeals is 17 years—and getting longer every day.

Unlike death penalty cases, however, LWOP sentences receive no special consideration on appeal, which limits the possibility they will be reduced or reversed. A person sentenced to die in prison receives only one automatic appeal, not several, and is not provided any court-appointed attorneys after this appeal is complete, usually within two years of the initial sentence.

California has the largest death row in the country with more than 660 prisoners. But more than four times as many prisoners have died of other causes while awaiting execution than have actually been executed. In contrast, when prisoners are sentenced to prison until death, they begin serving their sentence immediately. LWOP allows victims’ survivors to move on, rather than keeping them trapped in decades of court hearings and waiting for an execution to occur.

For these reason, the survivors of murder victims often feel that the death penalty system only prolongs their pain and does not provide the resolution they need, while the finality of LWOP sentences allows them to move on, knowing justice is being served.

Death in prison is a severe sentence
Spending even a small amount of time in California’s overcrowded, dangerous prisons is not pleasant. Spending thirty years there, growing sick and old, and dying there, is a horrible experience. This is especially true given the unconstitutional failure to provide adequate health care to California’s prisoners.

Prisoners condemned to die in prison are not given any special treatment and, in fact, have less access to programs than other prisoners. They are housed in high security facilities with few privileges, far away from any relatives, and in crowded group cells. Ironically, people on death row are provided much more comfortable single cells and sometimes gain celebrity and attention just by being there.

Death in prison is a sentence that saves money
The death penalty is significantly more expensive than condemning a person to die in prison. Simply housing prisoners on death row costs California tax payers an additional $90,000 per prisoner per year, above what it would cost to house them with the general prison population, which adds up to $59 million a year. The price tag for California’s new death row is $336 million. All of those costs would be avoided if the people on death row were sentenced to die in prison and moved to the general population.

Viewed another way, we spent $250 million to carry out the sentences of the 11 prisoners executed between 1977 and 2002, money that could have been spent on other public safety programs, if those prisoners had been sentenced to die in prison instead of executed.

Death in prison protects against wrongful execution
More than 200 innocent men and women have been freed from prison in California after it was discovered that they were wrongfully convicted; three of them were sentenced to die for crimes they did not commit. Simply put, the possibility of the state executing an innocent man or woman is reason enough to question the necessity of the death penalty when there is an alternative.

The death penalty costs more, delivers less, and puts innocent lives at risk. Life without parole provides swift, severe, and certain punishment. It provides justice to survivors of murder victims and allows more resources to be invested into solving other murders and preventing violence. Sentencing people to die in prison is the sensible alternative for public safety and murder victims’ families.

RE: End is Near Hopefully - VW Vixen - 02-26-2015

Hi Lunarscope,

I see that you have a very good grasp on her travels. I, on the other hand, really didn't. I have watched the 1st trial a few times and had heard all the names of the places she went but never put it together how far away they were from where she said she claims she actually wanted to go. Seeing it mapped out really brought it home. It's almost like she drove an extra 600 miles so she could borrow a couple of gas cans, which is ludicrous. I do remember her saying something about wanting to take photos of someones baby or something like that, but she wasn't able to connect with that person. I don't recall where this person was supposed to to be living.

I like that you mentioned Margaritaville. Only in the last day or so did I hear that this was an actual restaurant that she went to with Brewer or Matt. I don't remember Juan making a point of that during the 1st trial. Maybe I missed that. There is so much garbage that it is difficult to wade through it all. JA lies so easily and frequently that it is easy to dismiss what comes out of her mouth as lies. I figured that she did tell Ryan something about 'Margaritaville' as, one, who would just pull that name out of the blue and two, it was blatantly obvious that she was lying to Juan on the stand regarding a place with that name.

RE: End is Near Hopefully - NERN - 02-26-2015

http://ktar.com/?sid=1810870&nid=305

By Monica Lindstrom, Co-host of The Agenda | February 25, 2015 @ 8:03 pm

"The State v. Jodi Arias trial entered a new phase Wednesday -- deliberations.

These will mark the conclusion of a trial which began back in December 2012. Finally, the end is near.

Regardless of the decision, Travis Alexander's family, the Arias family, the judge, Juan Martinez and the defense team will have certainty and there will be no more speculation or guesswork. Well, unless the jury decides life, but I will get into that below.

The deliberating jury consists of eight women and four men. Earlier today, just before lunch, the two alternates were randomly chosen by the court. Juror No. 2, a female, and No. 13, a male, were told they were alternates and were escorted out of the courtroom with crestfallen looks on their faces. It was then that the 12 deliberating jurors retired to their deliberation room to start the most important part of the trial.

What exactly is their job? As the instructions explained and Kirk Nurmi reiterated to them again today, their job is to decide life or death, period. Their decision is binding. After the precursory language, the verdict form has two areas to check, either life in prison or death. (They can also indicate they cannot reach a decision.) It is that simple.

This was a retrial of the mitigation phase of the sentencing part of the trial. The instructions say: If you unanimously agree there is a mitigation sufficiently substantial to call for leniency, then you shall return a verdict of life. If you unanimously agree there is no mitigation or the mitigation is not sufficiently substantial to call for leniency, then you shall return a verdict of death.

In the guilt phase, the jury was instructed to deliberate and reach a decision regarding guilt, not punishment. They were instructed to discuss and review the evidence. This jury's deliberations are a bit different. In this phase they are only to consider the evidence in light of the punishment. They are not to second guess the verdict of first degree premeditated murder.

As the instructions and the attorneys explained to them, they have a duty to follow the law. They are not to decide based on conjecture, passion, public feelings, sympathy and are not to be influenced by personal feelings about Arias. Their duty is to discuss the case with one another to reach a just verdict and each must decide the case for themselves. Nurmi emphasized they do not have to change their minds because another juror feels differently and they each are to make their own moral judgment.

If their judgment is for death, Arias will be sentenced immediately and be transferred to the Arizona State Prison System's death row. If their judgment is life, then the second part of the sentence falls to Judge Stephens to decide. Martinez and Nurmi may have the opportunity to argue to Judge Stephens, likely at a later date, their respective positions regarding the possibility of parole. At that time the judge will decide if Arias will be sentenced to life in prison or life in prison with the possibility of parole after 25 years. It will not be Judge Stephens' decision whether Arias will eventually get released on parole.

The fate of Jodi Arias is finally in the hands of eight women and four men and we are all wondering... Will they spare her life?"